Cape Town is ready and waiting – the drought is over and now is the time to visit this exceptional destination
Following a number of consecutive years of rainfall well below the required averages, Cape Town had a rather nasty water scare in the summer of 2018. The large dams that feed the city were fast drying up and rumours began to circulate of the likelihood of this city of 4 million people running out of water. That was all before the winter of 2018, which thankfully was a winter of abundance. The catchment areas received good rains, the mountains were covered in snow and the dams began to fill up again. As we move into the 2018/19 summer, we have much healthier dam levels and there is no fear of a city running out of water. The scare has made locals and visitors alike more aware of our responsibilities around managing this precious resource and we enter the drier summer months with much greater confidence of not repeating the troubles of the last few years.
Now that Cape Town is all watered up and open for business again, here are our top 10 must do’s when in the vibrant city…
- Get up Table Mountain (via a hike up Platteklip Gorge for the brave, or cable car for a leisurely ride)
- Life really is a beach in Cape Town – visit the Clifton beaches, and stay for sundowners
- Experience the best of contemporary African art at the incredible ZeitzMOCAA
- Shop till you drop for African design at the Watershed
- Get to the African Penguins of Boulders Beach early and come back to the city via Chapman’s Peak drive
- Seal the deal – go snorkelling with the seals of Hout Bay
- Charge your glass at a local winery (we have great tips on where to go for the best wine, views and people)
- Arrive hungry – Cape Town is fast becoming the culinary hub of Southern Africa (as per the wineries, we will advise you on the best places to dine)
- Suit up and swim with the fishes – experience some of the best Great White Shark cage diving on offer
- Behave like a local, slow down and chill out. This is best done strolling around Africa’s most beautiful garden, the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden
The list of what to do in Cape Town could go on and on, but the above collection represents a good place to start. Be sure to draw on our experience in this city to allow us to help you put together a great itinerary for you when visiting this incredible city.
Image of Table Bay, Table Mountain and the city bowl ©Ammentorp